On Thursday, DraftKings and Fan Duel, the two largest providers of daily fantasy sports in the country, sent out statements detailing why Florida voters should vote against Amendment 3 on November 6th in the 2018 General Election.
DraftKings Statement on Florida Amendment 3
Vote NO on Amendment 3 in Florida!
What is Amendment 3?
- Amendment 3 would take the power away from the legislature to authorize sports betting in Florida.
- It pretends to give voters more power, but it is really an attempt to let special interests determine what you can and can’t do with your own hard-earned money.
What happens if Amendment 3 passes?
- Any attempt to bring sports betting to Florida would be dead in its tracks.
- Florida would be left behind as other states legalize sports betting.
- There would be no recourse. Once it passes there is no turning back.
What can I do?
- VOTE AGAINST AMENDMENT 3 IN NOVEMBER!
- Learn more about Amendment 3 at: https://www.choosemenot3.com/
Fan Duel Statement on Florida Amendment 3
Vote no on Amendment 3 – protect your right to bring sports betting to Florida
It’s important to vote NO on Amendment 3 in this election.
Amendment 3 was written to try to deceive you…
It pretends to give voters more power, but the reality is it seeks to make it impossible to bring sports betting to Florida and makes it more difficult to protect your right to play fantasy sports.
States across the country are racing to legalize sports betting, but Amendment 3 would stop any chance of bringing sports betting to Florida dead in its tracks.
Sports fans like you are now able to legally place bets using the FanDuel app in New Jersey, and at locations in West Virginia, Delaware, and Mississippi, with more states coming on soon. And fans LOVE it.
But if Amendment 3 passes, the Legislature will no longer have the power to authorize sports betting in Florida.
Our opponents will also use Amendment 3 to make it more difficult to protect your right to play fantasy sports.
Preserve the opportunity to have legal, engaging, and exciting sports betting in Florida.
Please vote NO on Amendment 3.
Summary of Florida Amendment 3
Both DraftKings and Fan Duel are correct in saying sports betting would be “dead in its tracks” if Florida Amendment 3 passes this upcoming election.
Florida Amendment 3 at first glance appears to give Florida residents more rights since the amendment states it will be giving voters the “exclusive” right to decide on whether to allow anything related to gambling in the state.
The key word here is “exclusive,” and what it really means is passing any form of gambling legislation would have to be solely done by Florida residents and would prohibit the Florida State Legislature, who currently has the ability to craft bills and pass laws, from taking any legislative action when it comes to gambling in the state.
Under the amendment, a citizen initiative process would have to be conducted, requiring signatures from 8% of the voters in the most recent presidential election in total and from half of the state’s districts (14 out of 27), making it unlikely Florida would ever see sports betting or gambling for the foreseeable future.
Voting on Florida Amendment 3
If you are 18 years of age or older on or before Election Day and are a resident of Florida, you are eligible to vote on Florida Amendment 3. Here is what you need to know:
- Florida residents can register to vote at gov LINK: https://registertovoteflorida.gov/en/Registration/Index
- Contact your local supervisor of elections for your polling location
- Deadline to register in Florida for the 2018 Midterms: October 9th
- General Election: November 6th
- Polls Open: 7 a.m. ET and CT
- Polls Close: 7 p.m. ET and CT